BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Help! Convince Me To Wait On The Curve...

Please Login to Remove!

I need some help. I know this is the BlackBerry 8300 forum...and I have been waiting on the 8300 to be released by AT&T...as I can exchange the Nokia N75 that I bought as an upgrade for it. But...in the interim period here...I have been offered to trade even for a Nokia E61i...and I am considering it.

I currently own a Treo 680...and I really like it. But...I was all poised to try my first BlackBerry, not as a replacement...but as something new and different.

Can someone that has owned both the Nokia E61 or E62...and has experience with BlackBerry's counsel me on what to do?

My main reasons for a smartphone are: (1) making phone calls, (2) easy access to personal email accounts, & (3) as a daily planner and organizer.

Will I be disappointed in the Nokia E61i in those functions...and should I wait for the BlackBerry 8300 like I have planned?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I used a Nokia E61 for about a day and thought it was way to big. But that's just my personal opinion. It just felt to flat and wide...ick.

I was pretty impressed with the Symbian OS though. It's pretty nice. All OS's have their good and bad. I've used just about everything out there and keep coming back to blackberry. For me, it's just simple, easy to use and, without a lot of bells and whistles, is pretty darn stable.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
ChgoMike

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t

You should wait.

Symbian OS is nice, but not as popular here in the US. The form factor of the E62 isn't great - although light it's pretty wide. I also found the processor to be a bit sluggish.

I've had long interactions with Palm OS, Windows PPC and Windows Smartphone operating systems on a number of devices. I've now had my Pearl for 2 weeks and it's the best phone I've ever used. It's stable, fast and email is flat-out the best. The only phone that I see that can top this is the soon to be released Curve.

Wait. You'll be sorry if you didn't.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I need some help. I know this is the BlackBerry 8300 forum...and I have been waiting on the 8300 to be released by AT&T...as I can exchange the Nokia N75 that I bought as an upgrade for it. But...in the interim period here...I have been offered to trade even for a Nokia E61i...and I am considering it.

I currently own a Treo 680...and I really like it. But...I was all poised to try my first BlackBerry, not as a replacement...but as something new and different.

Can someone that has owned both the Nokia E61 or E62...and has experience with BlackBerry's counsel me on what to do?

My main reasons for a smartphone are: (1) making phone calls, (2) easy access to personal email accounts, & (3) as a daily planner and organizer.

Will I be disappointed in the Nokia E61i in those functions...and should I wait for the BlackBerry 8300 like I have planned?
I have used the E62 and didn't like the keyboard. For me the numbers were way to hard to see in well lite rooms and outside. OS was way too slow, I found myself pressing keys more than once, and making too many mistakes. Sound was good, had trouble dialing one handed. Had to carry in pocket, tried on the belt and it hit everything I came close to. My fault.
I now have the 8700c waiting for the 8300 to come out. To me for the three things you have listed, Blackberry is the way to go.
I think that the data packages are better with the Blackberry plan, but that is just my two cents, there again it all depends on what you want.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Come on, you only have to wait few more days for the AT&T version...

Get the Blackberry 8300 Curve. You will be more happy with it.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

One glitch that just came up was my misunderstanding of the BB Data plans. I thought that I could use the BB Personal Unlimited plan through AT&T for $29.99 per month...and that not only could I use the BB with it, I could also use my Treo as well. (Like I said...I still like my Treo, although that's too popular around here...).

But...I was wrong.

AT&T Customer Service has just told me that for me to keep using my Treo along with my BlackBerry...I will have to add another line and data plan to my current plan. That means I would have to spend another $30 a month just to keep my Treo on top of the new BlackBerry. That's insane...

Sooooo...now that my plan is altered, I must make a decision on which phone I want to use...period.

I am bummed...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

First rule of dealing with at&t CSR's is that you need to do you research so you know if you're dealing with a knowledgeable rep or not. In this case, there's no need to call them anyway as this question has been addressed on many BB fourm sites.

However, in summary: If you want to run both simulatenously you need a data plan for each. If you intend to move your SIM from one to the other you would be fine.
Closed Thread