BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers
Default How will this technique work after water damage/unsweetened tea spill?

Please Login to Remove!

Wow... never thought it would happen to me. Stupid me, I left a cup of unsweetened tea unattended on the counter, next to my beloved electronics, and the wifey decides to knock it over. So tea goes right on top of the BB keypad, my bluetooth headset, AND the electronic key fob for the car... I can't believe the laptop was there too, but managed to escape unharmed.

After I stopped to I then took out the BB battery (don't have the tools or patience to take it apart fully at this point in time) and as others had suggested here, I'm going to put it under the heat of a 50W lamp for a few days and cross my fingers when I turn it back on. They're about 6 inches from the bulb.

As you can see from the temp & humidity guage, it's showing a nice low 14% humidity and around 40 C celsius or just over 100 Farenheit.

So how many days like this would you leave them all under the light non-stop? Any other ideas? Maybe I'll flip the BB over after a day to tan his backside too!

I'm not going to bother with rice, as this should do it hopefully, if anything will.

Thanks for the advice.

And I guess, my next question would be, if this doesn't work, is it worth trying to repair it? Or do most people just get a new one? Electronics these days just ain't worth repairing usually I find....

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-27-2008 at 07:34 PM..
Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Naked Wife
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry)

2 days.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

Honestly I don't really think it'll work that much due to the fact it's tea, I'd actually try an alcohol rinse to get rid of all the impurities and then let it softly dry, not put it into direct heat but like a TV vent, you don't want to force it.

As for the rice... I never heard of that part of the technique.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Placing a BB in a box or bag of rice has been mentioned hundreds of times, and in our FAQ here as well. It works well to withdraw the moisture from the device.

The alcohol bath with a high purity isopropyl alcohol could be helpful too.

For now, your lamp is good. Placing it on top of any heat emtting electonic component, like a stereo cabinet or cable box converter works well also.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
The alcohol bath with a high purity isopropyl alcohol could be helpful too.
Thx for the replies everyone. I increased the height of the lamp so it`s not so close.

Couple more questions for you Sanders. As far as the alcohol goes,
  1. Has anyone actually tried to dunk their BB in alcohol after it was wet, and had success after getting it to work again, or is it just theory so far? I'm hesitant to put it in a liquid again and I'm thinking maybe I should wait a few days, and if it doesn't work, then try that, since I'll have nothing to lose at that point.
  2. Isopropyl alcohol - that's just rubbing alcohol, right? I wiki'd it, and it seemed to indicate. I've got 70% at home, is that high enough purity?
Old 07-27-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

1. Yes, many have used alcohol and it is a working solution, especially for liquids that have salts and/or minerals (which can dry and leave residues and/or sugary liquids that can gum up the insides. If you are not ready to do so, don't.
2. Isopropyl = rubbing, yes. 70% is fine, and you can get higher.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
1. Yes, many have used alcohol and it is a working solution, especially for liquids that have salts and/or minerals (which can dry and leave residues and/or sugary liquids that can gum up the insides. If you are not ready to do so, don't.
That was fast! Well, that's great to hear others have had success with it. It does make sense... just never intentionally put it into liquid before so I'm a bit chicken!

Sorry, a few more questions. In your opinion:
  1. So the alcohol, can it have any negative side effects? It can't actually make things worse, can it?
  2. Will the alcohol really remove deposits by having phone simply soak in it, or must one swab the phone insides with alcohol?
  3. My tea didn't have sugar in it at least, but what do you think about my plan of trying it first in a few days and if it doesn't work, then dunking it? Could that be more harmful / riskier than just putting it in alcohol first? I will try whatever method you guys would suggest at this point. I don't have any experience in this issue nor with electronics in general to know how about this alcohol technique.
  4. Should I try the alcohol on the headset and my car fob too? I'm not sure how much tea spilled on them, but the car key didn't seem too wet inside when i popped the battery cover. I just don't want to make them worse, in case they are fine (hence my first question too).

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-27-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

What doesn't kill eletronics isn't the liquid, it's the fact that most people turn their device on right away after it's been wet, causing a short somewhere. Another problem is when it drys it leaves some sort of residue, whether it be suragry stuff or something else, using alcohol works well because it washes it off and because the alcohol evaporates into the air really well, 70% isopropyl works although if you're really paranoid you can go as high as the 90's.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #9
jerry12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: 32486DBC
Carrier: us cellular
Smile tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro View Post
Wow... never thought it would happen to me. Stupid me, I left a cup of tea unattended on the counter, next to my beloved electronics, and the wifey decides to knock it over. So tea goes right on top of the BB keypad, my bluetooth headset, AND the electronic key fob for the car... I can't believe the laptop was there too, but managed to escape unharmed.

After I stopped to I then took out the BB battery (don't have the tools or patience to take it apart fully at this point in time) and as others had suggested here, I'm going to put it under the heat of a 50W lamp for a few days and cross my fingers when I turn it back on. They're about 6 inches from the bulb.

As you can see from the temp & humidity guage, it's showing a nice low 14% humidity and around 40 C celsius or just over 100 Farenheit.

So how many days like this would you leave them all under the light non-stop? Any other ideas? Maybe I'll flip the BB over after a day to tan his backside too!

I'm not going to bother with rice, as this should do it hopefully, if anything will.

Thanks for the advice.

And I guess, my next question would be, if this doesn't work, is it worth trying to repair it? Or do most people just get a new one? Electronics these days just ain't worth repairing usually I find....
http://members.shaw.ca/amiro/PoorBB.JPG
i am afraid the sugar in the tea will do it in i had tea turn over into a scanner one time and the keys all ways were sticking after that.

first cell phone 1994 / join us cellular April 2004
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry12 View Post
i am afraid the sugar in the tea will do it in i had tea turn over into a scanner one time and the keys all ways were sticking after that.
I edited my original post to clarify, luckily it was unsweetened.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiro View Post
I edited my original post to clarify, luckily it was unsweetened.
Gotta love just straight tea.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

wow, those BMW keys are really expensive, i hope that atleast works in the end, that is more time and money wasted when it needs to be replaced than the bberry or bluetooth
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
wow, those BMW keys are really expensive, i hope that atleast works in the end, that is more time and money wasted when it needs to be replaced than the bberry or bluetooth
Good eye! Yeah, I was worried what a PITA it would be for the key, as I think they need to come from Germany... I tried the key and the headset this morning (never put them in alcohol) and luckily they both work. I don't think much got on them.

So now I'll wait it out another day or two for the BB and try that.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
Bu11d0z3r
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mob

Quote:
2. Isopropyl = rubbing, yes. 70% is fine, and you can get higher.
So, my phone jumped out of my pocket and into a 16oz cup of beer at a party... how long do I soak it in the alcohol?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #15
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bu11d0z3r View Post
So, my phone jumped out of my pocket and into a 16oz cup of beer at a party... how long do I soak it in the alcohol?
Oh no... it was in your shirt pocket, and you bent over and it popped out, right?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

Wow, you don;t want to SOAK it, just a nice dunk. A rinse if you will, then wait at least 2 days...
Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

haha, yea, give it a bath and out, not like a total soak for days on end. You want to fix it, not embalm it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Lotus99
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK, so tomorrow's going to be the day I'll test it! Luckily, the headset and car fob both worked just fine after two days under the lamp.

I've heard either the battery might have fried when it got soaked or the phone. Do you think it's ok to try the old battery in it to see if it powers up, or it's safer to put in a new battery first and see? Didn't want the battery to somehow cause a short or something when I put it in if it's become defective after the soak.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

If you have a spare battery, that would be a good idea.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
shammond

PIN: N/A

everyone beat me to it. Rice FTW!!! best thing ever for removing liquid damage.

BB Pioneer.

rolling with Blackberry since the 850 on Mobitex
Closed Thread