Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
eleventeen

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default MMS without a data plan?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm pretty sure this has been asked a million times before, but I've looked all over the web and can't find a straight answer, so I'm hoping to get one here :]

I'm on a family plan with AT&T and I have unlimited texting. I'd really like to get a Pearl versus a standard keypad phone to make texting easier.. Will I be able to send/receive MMS without a data plan? I have no use for the internet on my phone.

Also, someone has also told me that not having a data plan messes with the phone's other functions (messing with texts, cause you to miss incoming calls) - is this true?

Sorry for being such a noob I'd really just like a reliable answer
Old 08-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
seth1788
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-M

well i have T-Mobile, and an 8100 phone, and i currently dont have a data plan, and do have unlimited Texts like you do.

I can send and recieve all the MMS texts i want. im unsure if AT&T does the same, but the safest way to find out would be to check with them.

My phone works fine without the data plan, but you miss out on half of the features of the phone without internet, maps, etc. I plan on getting my Data plan as soon as i can aford it again...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
artmika

PIN: 254F7227
Carrier: Vodafone

MMS is always possible without any data plan.

----
BB 8100 Pearl @ Vodafone | PIN: 254F7227
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

No mms is not always possible without data. Depends on your carrier many do not support mms on a BB without BBdata plan
Old 08-16-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default No Data Plan

I picked up a used 8100 for my wife on ATT. I spoke to them yesterday as her MMS was not working. It turns out, although they don't charge you for MMS when you have unlimited, a data plan is required on that model. If you have an 8110 or 8120, you are golden without the data plan.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 AM   #6
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

Ok if you guys take the above dudes advice and "Check with your carrier" they are going to talk you into getting a data plan. I work for AT&T tech support dealing with mostly BB's.

I'll break it down:

Q: I'm unable to s/r mms messages.

A: If you are unable to s/r mms message it's b/c you may not have the mms service books on phone.

Q: What do you mean?

A: Go to Settings-Options-Adv. Options-Service books.

Q: What now?

A: Check for MMS service books to see if they are there.

Now if you have them just go to Settings-Options-Advance Options-Host Routing Table. Click your Menu button and select Register now. Try sending yourself a picture. It should work at this point.

If you don't have MMS service books you can call your provider and have them add the BB data plan on your account (You will be pro-rated) so that all the service books could be pushed to your phone. Then have them take the plan off and the service books should stay in the phone.

Send a test one to yourself and you should be fine.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
joeygator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqstatus05 View Post
Ok if you guys take the above dudes advice and "Check with your carrier" they are going to talk you into getting a data plan. I work for AT&T tech support dealing with mostly BB's.

I'll break it down:

Q: I'm unable to s/r mms messages.

A: If you are unable to s/r mms message it's b/c you may not have the mms service books on phone.

Q: What do you mean?

A: Go to Settings-Options-Adv. Options-Service books.

Q: What now?

A: Check for MMS service books to see if they are there.

Now if you have them just go to Settings-Options-Advance Options-Host Routing Table. Click your Menu button and select Register now. Try sending yourself a picture. It should work at this point.

If you don't have MMS service books you can call your provider and have them add the BB data plan on your account (You will be pro-rated) so that all the service books could be pushed to your phone. Then have them take the plan off and the service books should stay in the phone.

Send a test one to yourself and you should be fine.
Are you saying it will work this way with an 8100 as well?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
curtcon

Carrier: sprint
Default sprint

Well I have sprint and there network doesn't even have MMS. Data plan or not! I mean come on catch up with the technology!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #9
bp3dots
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: BOLD
PIN: 24A8056C

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtcon View Post
Well I have sprint and there network doesn't even have MMS. Data plan or not! I mean come on catch up with the technology!
Sprints messaging package includes MMS and IM's and SMS. The unlimited version anyway. If unlimited isnt for you its available another way, but i cant recal what add-on its under.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #10
gqstatus05
No longer Registered.

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T iPhone 3G User

Yes it will work. They only reason you are unable to is b/c you're phone is missing service books. On the newer BB's that are sold they are sold with the MMS service books already pre-loaded. RIM wanted to avoid calls about this issue as well as your carrier.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
curtcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
Sprints messaging package includes MMS and IM's and SMS. The unlimited version anyway. If unlimited isnt for you its available another way, but i cant recal what add-on its under.
I called them about the MMS when I got the phone and they said they don't do the MMS only SMS and if I wanted to send a pic I have to send thru email or pin messages. All I was trying to do was send a picture to a friend. I did find a way to send them thru an email to other phones but who can remember each companies email to phone address.

If I am wrong please tell me so cause it would be nice to send a picture or video to friends.

I do have the unlimited everything package
My last phone didn't take pictures but could send them (nextel) now I can take pics but cant send

Last edited by curtcon; 08-20-2008 at 06:15 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Everything I have heard is that Sprint does not yet support MMS messaging. So aside from sending via email you are out of luck.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #13
joeygator

Definitely not on the 8330. They do MMS on some other phones. I am presuming their policy is for all BBs.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
bp3dots
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtcon View Post
I called them about the MMS when I got the phone and they said they don't do the MMS only SMS and if I wanted to send a pic I have to send thru email or pin messages. All I was trying to do was send a picture to a friend. I did find a way to send them thru an email to other phones but who can remember each companies email to phone address.

If I am wrong please tell me so cause it would be nice to send a picture or video to friends.

I do have the unlimited everything package
My last phone didn't take pictures but could send them (nextel) now I can take pics but cant send
dang i read this too late lol, ill call my sprint rep and get the scoop... so update inc friday.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
curtcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
dang i read this too late lol, ill call my sprint rep and get the scoop... so update inc friday.
Did you just get sprint?

I had nextel and they have mms but the pearl was only for sprint. Since they are Sprint/Nextel I figured they would be the same services. The 7100I (I think I had) could get and send pictures and forward them but was not a camera phone. Switched to sprint to get the pearl, yay I can take and send pictures, NOT!

Either way I love the phone and the unlimited package but wish they would get the MMS.

But I could and hope I am wrong about the service book thing and can get a way around it.

I can get "picture mail" but it is a link to a web page that the picture is on. Not sure if I can send picture mail. but there is a page on this site that lists the email address's for each phone company (123-456-7890@blah-blah.com)

Last edited by curtcon; 08-20-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
bp3dots
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dont have sprint, just sell it (hmm seems like i should have known this one then huh?) I know you can send them but it may in fact be via mail and not MMS.
Closed Thread