BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Martinn

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Internet
Question BES new setup (multiple office)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, I looking to setup the a BES server with 30 users, but i read about the benchmarking and i have some question about network traffic.

My network setup:

Head Office: Mail gateway, Lotus Domino Main server and the BES server, 10MB internet link
24 BB Users

All my brach office is linked with the Head Office
Branch Office #1: Lotus Domino, Dedicated T1 Link, ping 30ms, 2 BB users
Branch Office #2: Lotus Domino, 7Mbps Internet Link connected with VPN (permanent), ping 70ms, 2 BB users
Branch Office #3: Lotus Domino, Dedicated 56k Link, ping 200ms, 2 BB users

I wondering if I can manage these 2 users at my office #3, but i think its to slow.

I need more information because i cant find anything about this kind a setup

thx
Martin
Old 01-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

I'm not sure how Domino handles high ping times, I know that BES for Exchange(MAPI) would have so many issues. Ranging from mail delay, sync issues to the BES almost stop working.

The other 2 branches should work ok but the third will more than likely cause issues and the only resolution is to have a BES local to it, but that would not be a cost effective solution for 2 users.

The users might not even be able to Activate, or they do it might take hours. I'm sure that someone else on here has had these issues. That's the best I can offer to ya, experience tells me that you will have issues due to the high ping times.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Martinn,

Out of curiosity, are these sites in the same country? I would not recommend the third option of the 56K line as Gibson has mentioned may lead to problems.

I am the ROI is worth increasing the speed for this office.

What Version of BES and Domino will you be running?
Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Martinn

Question

my main office is in Montreal, Canada. I have a mix of office in Canada & US
Domino manage slow connection to member server by queueing the emails that need to be forward to another server.

Something else that i want to know... I have the BES at the main office and a user at any office (forget it about the 56k connection office), he has couples of email with attachment ~2mb each. How the BES proceed, did it download all the email from Domino on the BES and only send 2kb headers to the handheld OR BES will only retrieve 2kb directly from the Domino server and if the user request all the email and the attachment, BES will download all the email and send it to the handheld.

When the main server and the BES is in the main office, thats perfect, but with WAN office???

Thanks

Martin

Last edited by Martinn; 01-08-2008 at 12:14 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Your second statement is correct. When I receive an email with an attachment, it is in my mail file and my blackberry receives the majority of the email as much as it can, 2KB worth. If it needs the attachment, perform a request for the attachment and use the More option automatically.

No emails are stored on the BES Server except for mail stamps on the bes state db and the logs to ensure messages were delivered and sent.

I am not sure about the statement you added last: When the main server and the BES is in the main office, thats perfect, but with WAN office??? --DO you mean with regards to requesting attachments and the speed and time it takes?

Last edited by amukhey; 01-08-2008 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: I did not answer one last question as I did not know what he / she was referring to
Old 01-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Martinn

So, if on my blackberry i request more about the message or want to see the attachment, at this point, the BES will pull the from the mail server and send the data to the blackberry, nothing is store on the BES.

So if the blackberry user want to see the attachment, but his mail file his on the server in one of my brach office, the BES will pull the data at the moment the user ask for the attachment... That why if i have a very slow connection like a 56k, this will takes all the bandwidth the moment the BES retrieve the data... For me this mean that all other users in this same office that use Internet or applications (with Databases at the main office), will be greatly affected for 10 min per 1mb of attachment... anyway this 56k link is already loaded with big email when the main office forward email to that office, so email for blackberry will come back by the same link to the BES.

For the BES and the mail server in the same office, i said PERFECT, because the network (1GB lan between server) can handle the little traffic cause by the BES

hope im clear enough, because i want to understand the BES, i dont really like the documentation from RIM, its not clear

Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

a 56 K connection is definitely not good enough to support a small office for a domino server and BES. I would highly suggest upgrading / increasing the bandwidth of the line, its worth it, you dont have to go through problems such as above and its a pro-active solution.

The Blackberry handheld will pull the email from which domino server it is set up to pull from / where the mail file exists.

In conclusion, I dont know anyone in this day and age still using a 56K line especially in a small business / enterprise manner when these devices and systems are mission critical. If you do not want to experience any issues with slownless, delays, or time-outs, you have to at least upgrade the bandwidth and monitor your systems.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
x14

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinn View Post
So, if on my blackberry i request more about the message or want to see the attachment, at this point, the BES will pull the from the mail server and send the data to the blackberry, nothing is store on the BES.
This is correct.

Quote:
So if the blackberry user want to see the attachment, but his mail file his on the server in one of my brach office, the BES will pull the data at the moment the user ask for the attachment... That why if i have a very slow connection like a 56k, this will takes all the bandwidth the moment the BES retrieve the data... For me this mean that all other users in this same office that use Internet or applications (with Databases at the main office), will be greatly affected for 10 min per 1mb of attachment... anyway this 56k link is already loaded with big email when the main office forward email to that office, so email for blackberry will come back by the same link to the BES.
Not only that. The BES's default polling interval is every 20 seconds. This is going to eat up the 56K link.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Martinn

i know that its weird that there is company that still use a 56k dedicated link...

good, that clear enough for me

so finally, the BES only pull header of emails on the mail server.

That answer my main problem of setting up a BES, because the benchmarking from RIM with 2000 users, do not represent a small company

I didnt answer that question, sorry
Im setting up a BES 4.1.4 with a Domino 7.02

thanks
Martin

Last edited by Martinn; 01-08-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Martinn

is it me or this web site is very slow....
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
x14

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
so finally, the BES only pull header of emails on the mail server.
By default BES sends Header only for Sent messages. Header +2K of the body of Inbox messages.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
is it me or this web site is very slow....
Yes, the site is experiencing performance problems ... the site owner is working to fix them all.
Closed Thread