Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
jar8100
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Return from the Dead Pearl 8100

Please Login to Remove!

OK, first let me say that it is not my phone. It's my bosses. And I have searched the forums!
It is a refirb. T-Mob (on Rogers) 8100.

It does not power up (no blinking LED, no white screen of death, no hourglass) nothing. It does nothing when the power button is pressed.
When it is hooked up to the computer (via USB) the comp. says its there, then not , then its there, then not - stays that way (not there).
The Pearl LED lights up for a split second and the light under the keyboard flashes (less than a split sec). The display does not even come on (no flash, nothing) and the LED under the trackball does not light either.
If i try to do anything with BDM (Backup) it immediatly pops up that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I know that there is no problem with my computer because I use it all the time with my Pearl.

This all started when my boss (after getting a call - from Rogers) got a bit pissed and lightly tossed the phone on the desk. I should state that it was in its holster. The phone slid across the desk and fell (approx 30 in.) to the wooden floor. After about 10 min. he picked up his phone , put it on his desk and then about an hour later wondering why he wasn't getting any phone calls tried to turn it on. It did not work, and he is all worried about losing the information on it.

I am in the process of reading about JL Cmder and OS re-install but don't know if getting the info off the device is going to happen or even if the device can be fixed.
Any help Please.

Last edited by jar8100; 05-31-2008 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: changed title
Old 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
jar8100

Default Not Much Help

I tried almost everthing I can find on this subject to no avail.

I uninstalled DM and 8100 OS and then reinstalled them - did not help.
Tried JL Cmder - would not wipe so, - tried 'what to do if JL Cmder won't work - it gets to 'Wait for device initialization' and the bar on the bottom goes all the way through 'Reconnecting to JVM' and before the 'Read Java application configuration' it pops up with 'Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation'.

The good news - when plugged into the PC with the battery out the screen is white with a battery pic with a red line through it (just as I expected to see) so the screen is not fried. Now if I plug it into the PC with the battery in the phone it connects, the LED comes on for 3 seconds, disconnects, reconnects, the 'original' flash, disconnects - stays disconnected.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
cgibson

Carrier: Centennial wireless

1) sounds like he might as well get a new phone
2)sounds like he might want to look into anger management lol
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
jar8100

So I was up to 2am f***kin with it, no luck or miracles or any change. Think I will take the thing apart (if its truly dead I can't hurt it) looking for signs of physical damage (doubt i'll find any), at least I can get lots of photos of it dismantled.

I just don't get it - I was sitting scross the room when it happened, it was 'like' it just fell off the desk with no extra power and the floor is softwood (red pine). I've dropped mine on concrete and nothing (well I did get a nice mark on the crome rail), i've even dropped it into a snowbank (that almost gave me a heart attack) and nothing (although I did rush right inside) didn't even affect the 'moisture indicator'. Was his made more cheaply?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

sounds to me like it is salavgable

may have to try JL_cmder a couple times or "what to do if it won't connect"

I had a similar situation with my 7230, I had to do the step % times before it came back to life
Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
jar8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
sounds to me like it is salavgable

may have to try JL_cmder a couple times or "what to do if it won't connect"

I had a similar situation with my 7230, I had to do the step % times before it came back to life
I've tried like 15 times (both ways) and no go
All I get is : COM error during OPEN: <0x80040001> Error: unable to open port

Last edited by jar8100; 03-18-2008 at 08:32 AM..
Old 03-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

ouch

may be beyond help then
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
jar8100

So my boss finally took it back to the store me bought it from and they told him that because it was past the 30 day return policy (52 days) he would have to deal with the manufacturer or carrier.

The phone is T-Mobile branded and his carrier is Rogers (in Canada) so thats not gonna work. I don't know what else to do, I guess its spare parts now.

He's back on his E90 (what a brick) and already hating the ringtones.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:19 AM   #9
jar8100

Default It's ALIVE !!!!

Well, after two months of just sitting on the desk I picked up the Pearl and decided to play with it one more time (just to see) and when I pluged it in the screen had the "507" error screen.
In all the mucking around with it the last time I never could get this screen, so I at least thought there was sill hope. I started up DM and it actually recognized it and it stayed connected , so I loaded the OS back onto it and it took.
After 26 min. of the hourglass spinning it finally came back to life. HOOORAYYY !!!

Now, Question about the battery: It says it's charging but it sat in an unpowered BB for two months, is it still good? Or should I get a new one? If the battery goes completely dead does it do damage to itself or will it do damage to the BB?

I'm also left with the delema of whether or not to tell my boss it's fixed, he bought himself another Pearl and then bought an 8320, so he has 2 BB's (don't think he needs 3).

Last edited by jar8100; 05-31-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: changed title
Closed Thread