Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm is hot.... literally.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

Im having a problem today with my Storm and I wanted to post my issue here to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Last night I set my Storm to bedside mode, plugged the charger in, and went to bed (as I do every night). THis morning I woke up to turn off my alarm and my storm was exremely warm to the touch. I figured that maybe it was just the act of charging the phone overnight that caused this however now Im at work and the device is still very warm. Im also experiencing much more sluggish operation than normal.

One thing I do remember that was kind of odd. Usually when I charge my storm it will show the "bolt" emblem on the battery until it is fully charged and then the bolt will dissappear. This morning the "bolt" icon was still on the battery as if it was still juicing the thing up even though the battery was full.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I don't have a solution, but I've noticed that my Storm does warm up while charging as well. I wouldn't say it's extremely warm, but it is puzzling.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask

Bro, I was just thinking of asking this question as my storm has jumped on that same boat. I would wake up every mornind witk something warm under my pillow, and when I would turn off the alarm, that's when I found out it was the phone..lol. I hope this is some type of software glitch, as I heard the Bold had this problem, not the
Storm.....

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
B4NFTR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Another thing I noticed is that when tethered you get the lightning bolt as if it is charging but yet it doesn't charge and it physically gets HOT. This happens also while in "modem mode enabled" using VZaccess manager. I'd say there is a heat issue.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: PM and Ask

I could cook some eggs and bacon on this thing...

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
mdnd19

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A

Mmmmmmmmmm..... BaCon
Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
BBHorrigan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I spoke to someone who said they were having the same issue yesterday
Old 12-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

UPDATE: I just checked my phone again and 2/3 of the battery has already drained and I havnt even used it other than recieving a few messages and emails. Something is wrong here.

I just removed the battery and rebooted the device to see if this stops any programs running in the background that might be causing this. I will see if this helps.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
wild satchmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxDruMMer BoYxx View Post
I could cook some eggs and bacon on this thing...
Diddo.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
koki
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: BIG RED

same here, one night i plugged it in the wall charger went to bed, and woke up to find it didnt charge at all and was HOT(warm is an understatement), flipped it over and yanked the batt. out, hasn't happen since, but still not cool
Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
The Truth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by koki View Post
same here, one night i plugged it in the wall charger went to bed, and woke up to find it didnt charge at all and was HOT(warm is an understatement), flipped it over and yanked the batt. out, hasn't happen since, but still not cool
I just took my battery out and then put it back, and it cooled down within a few minutes. Seems like there is a verified overheating issue on some devices when charging.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
bloggs96

PIN: 1234
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Guys, I thought my incar charger caused this... I had it on charge on a journey and about 40 mins into it I could smell plastic burning.. i picked up the storm and it was ROASTING hot, to the point I had to let it go. I unplugged it and let it cool. the battery sounded like it was sizzling! since then I have had less life from the battery and also noticed the wall charger also causes the same problem... I thought it was just a bit weird, I called vodafone CS and they say they have had no reports.... I have since purchased a BB official in car charger.. but the same issue.. I dread to imagine what could happen if you use the paper trick and the battery is getting THAT hot....

Kris
Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
credo

Carrier: verizon

I hope the battery doesn't ignite like the Dell computers did. My pillow isn't fireproof!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Well, it appears I was mistaken about my Storm heating up as of late. I left it plugged in overnight and it didn't heat up, and now that I think about it, it hasn't since I upgraded to .75 - it only did when I had .65. Don't know if that makes any difference or not.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
bloggs96

PIN: 1234
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hmm... Well I am still on .65.. as UK 9500 does not have the update as yet... Unless I am mistaken?

I will let you know if this problem goes away after firmware update, But speaking with the CS at vodafone again today they have had a few cases now of them over heating they say.. maybe they will run a battery safety recall?

After all... this could be a potential hazard.. on flights etc? This is starting to sound like the sony batteries on the DELL ? VAIO and Apple Mac problem....
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #16
hudres

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
I don't have a solution, but I've noticed that my Storm does warm up while charging as well. I wouldn't say it's extremely warm, but it is puzzling.

It's not strange. It is a function of excessively high charging rate (too much current too fast). This is a design issue. They tried to make it charge at a reasonable rate. The 3G phones draw a huge amount of power andthe battery is pushed to the max. What they need is a higher capacity battery and a higher capacity charger.

While the temperature is warm to the touch, it is not excessive or at a level that causes me concern (that's my take ... it may not be yours). 73
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #17
YoYoSlap
Thumbs Must Hurt

im using .75 and although i dont notice my phone being hot when i wake up in morning, it does tend to get very hot very quickly while im using the phone. I also noticed since upgrading to .75 that my storm is leaking memory. I have about 7mb free memory and after a pull it goes back to 44mb. Thats a big leak and maybe has to do with phone overheating. Either way, both problems are super annoying
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #18
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Yeah, I posted about that same leak issue. It's driving me a little nuts but I'll deal with it until the next update by doing battery pulls.

And good to know the warming action while charging isn't merely an oddity. My phone also does get warm while being used - I was on a 45 minute call with my mom early and my phone was warm by the end.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #19
B~B

Carrier: Vzw

i noticed the phone does NOT get warm when using the usb plug connected to my computer for trickle charging. however it did get much warmer to the touch when using the wall charger. i didn't notice my curve ever getting this warm when charging.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #20
hudres

PIN: n/a
Lightbulb Phone Heating

If you stop and think about it, heating is not unreasonable. The Storm has three transmitters, three receivers, a cpu, video controller, audio amplifier memory , etc. all these things throw off heat. I took a trip on Monday using the phone, bluetooth and gps simultaneously and it got hot. Connecting to the car charger made it hotter. So, heating has a lot to do with the load you are running. Also, have unused software running in background makes the situation worse. 73
Closed Thread