BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
SGRacer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VZW
Default Why is Linking to a Beta OS so bad?

Please Login to Remove!

What is the big issue with linking to a beta OS?
I think people have post xmas depression.

Are you just trying to get people to leave here and go to crackberry? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited by SGRacer; 12-27-2008 at 09:25 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Collin16
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304D62BD
Carrier: verizon

RIM doesnt like leaked OS's. it makes bbforums look bad. we like to follow the rules and keep the forums clean

but everyone likes something new

you just gotta hunt for it if you want it
Old 12-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
SGRacer

I have to believe RIM leaks this stuff and monitors these boards as a testbed.
Its not like people are leaking it w/o approval. I just dont believe that.
Why does this board care what RIM thinks? Its not affiliated in anyway is it?
It doesnt appear so from the whois domain holder info, but I could be wrong.

Let me state that I am not stirring the pot, but am just curious.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
C17Driver
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Wirelessly posted

This board is large enough that if RIM noticed it was encouraging (permitting) the transfer of unauthorized OS's they could sue to stop it. Very expensive for the owner of the site. Just my guess.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:12 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Many people here have good relationships with RIM and don't care to jeopardize it. What they do at other forums is their business. They can deal with RIM's legal department.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRacer View Post
What is the big issue with linking to a beta OS?

This forum has strict rules. That is the price of admission . . . you must play by the rules. This is a small price compared to the quality of the vast majority of posts and comments here. One of the rules is no beta listings. They sometimes do not even allow discussions of beta's here, instead preferring that they be carried out on the Beta forum elsewhere on this site. The moderators do a good job of keeping things in line. (Although I did send a PM to one moderator asking about the basis of the policies and did not receive a return. Not nice. It was very respectful). .. 73
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Garz08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: At&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRacer View Post
I have to believe RIM leaks this stuff and monitors these boards as a testbed.
Its not like people are leaking it w/o approval. I just dont believe that.
Why does this board care what RIM thinks? Its not affiliated in anyway is it?
It doesnt appear so from the whois domain holder info, but I could be wrong.

Let me state that I am not stirring the pot, but am just curious.

Thanks!

Trust me on this... these OS's are not leaked on purpose by RIM. It also up to the Admin of the site whether or not they want to allow beta links. They way I see it, its not the sites(not just referring to BBF) responsibilty to keep software leaks off but its RIMs job to keep it from leaking. JMO
Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

RIM people most likely don't leak these OS's. They have way too much at stake. They are usually leaked by carrier representitives.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
SGRacer

If I was developing an OS at RIM, part of the cycle would include leaking versions to a bunch of techno-geeks who would do things my normal team would never do during testing (you guys). I write code for huge healthcare systems and always deploy code to a "superuser" group to hammer on before we ever implement enterprise-wide. Just curious, no big whoop. Talk amongst yourselves, here is a topic - Mike Myers.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 AM   #10
gsontag
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 3050BF93

HAHA, want a reason not to link leaked OS's! Look at the thread titled "help! .85 phone issue...help!" Leaked OS or beta OS is not final and has issues so unless you are very competent in your BB skill just stay away from them and dont link to them so more people can go mess up there phone. Just wait for the official release.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:28 AM   #11
knoxpd
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 247d1088
Default 4 the 1's that just dont get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsontag View Post
HAHA, want a reason not to link leaked OS's! Look at the thread titled "help! .85 phone issue...help!" Leaked OS or beta OS is not final and has issues so unless you are very competent in your BB skill just stay away from them and dont link to them so more people can go mess up there phone. Just wait for the official release.
Here is another reason not to post os leaked links, the Munchkin make the rules of this site and the Oompa Loompa of this site inforce them and you dont want a Oompa Loompa after you after all you did see what they did to the kids in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate factory. but in simple terms its called " TOS " terms of service. Don't like it then don't use the service !!!

<shrugs>
Old 12-28-2008, 07:05 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Oompa Loompas?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #13
knoxpd
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 247d1088
Talking Ducking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Oompa Loompas?
Oompa Loompas = Moderator

<DUCKS>
Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Enjoy your day.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

RIM evidently releases these Beta versions to approved "superuser" groups. Anyone who has worked around software companies is well aware that companies recruit "beta testers", who are provided the software to test and report back on. Sure they get to be the first on their block to play with the fancy new version, however sometimes at a cost to their hardware. There is a "user agreement" however all companies are aware and, I believe, actually plan on the beta versions getting leaked to others. By creating the "beta group", the company is able to tangentially leak the beta version without incurring liability. In essence, RIM is stating: "Why pay test groups where there are always willing lab rats to load our buggy versions into their expensive hardware and test drive it for free? Of course we know they will share it with their friends but because of the agreement those dummies can't sue us for loading a bootleg copy that causes their hardware to flop."

When you install the beta version and your phone goes belly up, as a non-beta tester you have no recourse. I would venture to say even a beta tester has limited recourse as well.

I fully believe RIM monitors these groups clandestinely and uses the feedback to tune up its beta versions. Meanwhile, they get big chuckle when your phone goes boobies up after you foolishly load it to your phone.

Don't be RIM's lab rat by loading a beta into your Storm.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 12-28-2008 at 11:06 AM..
Old 12-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Mark1si

PIN: 304DC7AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
RIM evidently releases these Beta versions to approved "superuser" groups. Anyone who has worked around software companies is well aware that companies recruit "beta testers", who are provided the software to test and report back on. Sure they get to be the first on their block to play with the fancy new version, however sometimes at a cost to their hardware. There is a "user agreement" however all companies are aware and, I believe, actually plan on the beta versions getting leaked to others. By creating the "beta group", the company is able to tangentially leak the beta version without incurring liability. In essence, RIM is stating: "Why pay test groups where there are always willing lab rats to load our buggy versions into their expensive hardware and test drive it for free? Of course we know they will share it with their friends but because of the agreement those dummies can't sue us for loading a bootleg copy that causes their hardware to flop."

When you install the beta version and your phone goes belly up, as a non-beta tester you have no recourse. I would venture to say even a beta tester has limited recourse as well.

I fully believe RIM monitors these groups clandestinely and uses the feedback to tune up its beta versions. Meanwhile, they get big chuckle when your phone goes boobies up after you foolishly load it to your phone.

Agree totally
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post

Except that if your phone messes up, there's steps to get it back working again. (And that's why frequent backups are recommended).

It's your own risk in loading a beta to your phone. All posts about betas tend to say this as a warning/disclaimer before you go downloading the software. It's not RIM's fault that phones are messed up with betas - YMMV.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #18
SGRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxpd View Post
Here is another reason not to post os leaked links, the Munchkin make the rules of this site and the Oompa Loompa of this site inforce them and you dont want a Oompa Loompa after you after all you did see what they did to the kids in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate factory. but in simple terms its called " TOS " terms of service. Don't like it then don't use the service !!!

<shrugs>
True, purple is not my color at all!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
sprintrjm

Carrier: Ver eyes on

if there was any real threat of rim coming down on sites that post a link, then all the other blackberry sites / forums would have been put out of business years ago.

Yes, from a legal stand point, you could get sued by anybody for anything.

It just seems back a$$wards not to post a link to a download.
Thats why theres usually one section of town that's full of hetro's and a small corner of the town filled with non-hetro's.

I'm looking for the town with balls that merges both.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Garz08
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: At&t

[QUOTE=sprintrjm;1225612]if there was any real threat of rim coming down on sites that post a link, then all the other blackberry sites / forums would have been put out of business years ago.QUOTE]

I agree! Otherwise Berryreview would have been gone long ago.
Closed Thread