BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Mrorie

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Another redirector problem, yay!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all. I'm new to these forums, and pretty new to Blackberry - just got my Bold last week. I'm loving it so far, but today my Blackberry Redirector appears to have stopped functioning.

My bold is via AT&T in the U.S. I set my redirector up properly, AFAIK, and it worked fine from last Wednesday until today, when it stopped forwarding messages. It says there are 49 emails pending to device, and the "time since last device contact" is over five hours now. The Bold is working fine with my gmail account, web browsing, facebook, etc., but it doesn't seem to want to connect to my redirector.

One question I have is that my redirector software is v 3.6, with a copyright date of 1997-2006. It also doesn't have a Security tab, which I've seen referenced in some forum threads about this problem. Is this an outdated version of the Redirector? Is there any place to download a newer one?

I'm keeping my redirector window open, Outlook is on, and my computer is never turned off. One thing I've noticed is that those little emails that appear in my Inbox have stopped appearing; the one with long strings of numbers that would pop up for a few minutes and then get deleted when the message was forwarded. Those don't appear anymore.

Any tips are appreciated! I have tried rebooting the computer, power-cycling the phone, etc., and those don't seem to work too well.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

I would try connecting the BB to the PC and manually generating a new encryption key using the Desktop Manager. Then battery pull.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Redirector is an ancient program. 3.6 is the latest. There hasn't been a newer version in years.

Are you using an Exchange e-mail server? Redirector is only certified to work with Exchange.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Mrorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
I would try connecting the BB to the PC and manually generating a new encryption key using the Desktop Manager. Then battery pull.

E-
Thanks, I tried that. Manually made a new key, and applied it, then did a battery pull. The "time since last device contact" was reset to 0, but the "pending to device" emails is still at 50.

And I am using Exchange/Outlook 2007. It was working fine until this morning; something must've happened, because I got a few work emails pushed this morning, but nothing since. I can't bug IT about because we don't run a BES and they don't do smartphone support. (I just find it handy to have around.)

What are my other options here? Run BIS? Emuse?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

I wonder if maybe your IT department has blocked the ports that Redirector uses in your Firewall. I'm not sure what the ports are.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorie View Post
Thanks, I tried that. Manually made a new key, and applied it, then did a battery pull. The "time since last device contact" was reset to 0, but the "pending to device" emails is still at 50.

And I am using Exchange/Outlook 2007. It was working fine until this morning; something must've happened, because I got a few work emails pushed this morning, but nothing since. I can't bug IT about because we don't run a BES and they don't do smartphone support. (I just find it handy to have around.)

What are my other options here? Run BIS? Emuse?
If you can use BIS I would highly reccommend it! Otherwise, can you validate that you can send outbout email from the account in question (from the PC).

E-

Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Mrorie

Yep, I have been sending email from the account this morning and afternoon and have gotten responses to those emails.

For some reason, I try to login to BIS, but it won't accept my PIN/IMEI for a new account; says an account has already been created. But then when I load my PIN into the box for a password reminder, the note I get says an account hasn't been created yet.

Time to call AT&T, I guess!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Mrorie

Well, the guys at AT&T kept me on hold for half an hour and then refused to help because I have a blackberry personal data plan, and apparently I'm not supposed to use that plan if I want work email, even if it's not a BES that we're supporting. I should just tell them that I'm running Outlook on my home machine, I guess.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorie View Post
Well, the guys at AT&T kept me on hold for half an hour and then refused to help because I have a blackberry personal data plan, and apparently I'm not supposed to use that plan if I want work email, even if it's not a BES that we're supporting. I should just tell them that I'm running Outlook on my home machine, I guess.
You can use BIS for work email but you should double check....You might just have a BES plan right now. I think it's required for the redirector but you are entitled to 10 free BIS email accounts with both BES and BIS.

E-

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Mrorie

Nope, we don't have a BES, unfortunately. I signed up for the cheapest data plan (the personal one), so I'm not expecting them to give me too much.

I did validate my work email address with BIS, but unfortunately I am on 30 or so separate mailing lists, and do not want them all to come to my phone. Maybe I will just use Outlook Web Access on the browser, but that seems complicated.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Mrorie

Ok, I gather that this is now a problem not specific to my model of blackberry, because both my and my boss's Redirector ceased working at around the same time Monday morning; they both have Pending To Device messages stacking up. What could cause this? Some problem with our exchange server?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011

Have you asked your IT department if they are blocking it at the firewall?? That would be my guess. Or maybe an Internet proxy server issue.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 01-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
jigru

Model: 8210
Carrier: Telenor

Try updating service books +

Encryption key regeneration from your handheld
Note: The steps will vary somewhat depending on your version of the BlackBerry operating system (OS), but you will eventually find the setting you need.

From the BlackBerry handheld main menu, navigate through clickable options such as Settings, Options, Security Options, and/or General Settings to find Services, and click the trackwheel.

Under "Services", select Desktop [random numbers] (3DES).

Click the trackwheel and choose Regenerate Encryption Key.
Encryption key regeneration from your desktop
To regenerate an encryption key using BlackBerry Desktop software:

Cradle your BlackBerry handheld.

Open the Desktop Manager software and double-click the Redirector Settings icon.

At the top of the redirector settings screen, select the Security tab.

Select the Generate Key Manually checkbox, and then click the Generate Now button. A window with a green status bar will appear.

Move your mouse around the screen until the status bar window has disappeared. This regenerates your encryption key.

To close the window, click OK.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
jigru

Model: 8210
Carrier: Telenor

Try updating service books +

Encryption key regeneration from your handheld
Note: The steps will vary somewhat depending on your version of the BlackBerry operating system (OS), but you will eventually find the setting you need.

From the BlackBerry handheld main menu, navigate through clickable options such as Settings, Options, Security Options, and/or General Settings to find Services, and click the trackwheel.

Under "Services", select Desktop [random numbers] (3DES).

Click the trackwheel and choose Regenerate Encryption Key.
Encryption key regeneration from your desktop
To regenerate an encryption key using BlackBerry Desktop software:

Cradle your BlackBerry handheld.

Open the Desktop Manager software and double-click the Redirector Settings icon.

At the top of the redirector settings screen, select the Security tab.

Select the Generate Key Manually checkbox, and then click the Generate Now button. A window with a green status bar will appear.

Move your mouse around the screen until the status bar window has disappeared. This regenerates your encryption key.

To close the window, click OK.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
michaelalanjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Ale, Please!
Default I use the same version (v3.6.0.68) of Redirector

I have the same version (v3.6.0.68) of Redirector, and it works great. Just so you know, we have a proxy server here at work and very tight security. We use Exchange servers. I wonder if you changed your email/LAN password recently. When I change my password, I start getting the proxy server popups for a while. See, we have many different proxy server machines, like 30, so every time I change my LAN password, I start getting proxy password popups.

They have "[X] Save Password" on the popups, so when I put my new password in, it saves it on that server. It rotates, so you eventually get hooked up to all the different proxy servers during a day. So I have to enter my password 30 times, every time I change my LAN password. But then it is good until the next time I am forced to change my password (every 2 months).

You know, we also have a corporate BES server, but I was told (by friends) not to sign up for it. See, here, (at the global corporation where I work), we have thousands of BlackBerries, and they are all controlled through rigid policies on the BES. My Bold is my personal phone, but if I get connected to the BES, it will be indistinguishable from all the other work phones, and I will be restricted like everybody else. For example, I wouldn't be able to go to certain websites that are blocked, like: sports, lotto, facebook, etc.

Plus, they told me that I would have to pay AT&T an extra $10/month for the ability to use BES. Sounds like a crock of sh!t to me, but that is the way it is. Ther's no way that I am going to pay an extra 10 bones a month, so that I will be restricted to certain websites, just so I can be totally synced.

I wanted my work email to come to me, so I have the Redirector running. I know that I will not get meeting updates, but all I need to do is sync my Bold once a day to get meeting requests.
Closed Thread