BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #1
wingnut257

Model: none
Question Any problems with Cingular Data Plans and Extra charges?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

I'm about to invest in my first BB, probably the 8700c. However, i don't know wheter to switch from cingular to tmobile. I read that many people have had extra charges on bill with certain software even with the unlimited data plans. Please tell me if anybody has had any problems in correcting problems with extra charges from cingular and how do you correct these mistakes. I know cingular is more expensive but, I'm quite happy with there coverage and service in Miami, NYC, DC and Chicago (the cities I'm in the most).

Additionally, i have read there are technicial settings you can request from cingular (at no extra charge), what are these settings you should request and which department do you request these settings. I will have moderate email use and moderate web browsing daily. I will most likely use the BIS service instead of the BES due to my company's policies.

Thanks for all the information you provide.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

If your firm has BES with MDS enabled you will get no other charges on any apps. Email and web browsing is included in the unlimited plans. If you use it as a modem or use other third party apps you might have charges depending on the TCP settings you use. I am on BES with MDS and everything is great. For $20 month you can get a privately hosted BES and control the policies.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
wingnut257

Model: none

How do i get the privately hosted BES for $20?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

You need to sign up with a BES hosting company. I use MailStreet. Link2Exchange and ExchangeMyMail are a couple of other companies that offer hosted BES. You might want to check the sponsors link above to see if any sponsors are BES hosting companies that offer a discount.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

I use cingular bis and have never been charged for additional data. I use 3rd party apps as well as the regular stuff.

Not saying that cingular is the way to go or anything...but I really haven't had too many problems.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
jbairdjr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

When I had Cingular (we were ATT government clients initially), I would get overage data charges using a 3rd party software client.
The overages were usually so insignificant, that I didnt worry about it. I would be concerned with a chat client, and try out anything first.
The nice thing about Cingular was that we could check our data overages by logging into the billing page. I tested the program, and was able to see how much data was charged.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #7
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
I use cingular bis and have never been charged for additional data. I use 3rd party apps as well as the regular stuff.

Not saying that cingular is the way to go or anything...but I really haven't had too many problems.
Consider yourself warned, there are many others who ARE getting charged for 3rd party apps. The consensus is that if you are one of those who are not being charged, you are lucky and it will eventually get you. Read the thread I posted below, and either stop using the appps or get a BES.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...3rd+party+apps
Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
mortgageguy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Consider yourself warned, there are many others who ARE getting charged for 3rd party apps. The consensus is that if you are one of those who are not being charged, you are lucky and it will eventually get you. Read the thread I posted below, and either stop using the appps or get a BES.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/show...3rd+party+apps

I also use Cingular and have been on BIS for the last 3 months with no charges. I just recently added BES through EMM and have been very happy with them.

I'm not going to worry about the charges even if I revert back to BIS because everyone who has disputed these charges with Cingular has had them removed. If Cingular actually started to charge for data in addtion to the unlimted plan they would have a mass exodus of customers. There are just too many other carriers out there.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
mortgageguy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut257
How do i get the privately hosted BES for $20?

I have ExchangeMyMail. Excellent customer service! They come highly recommended on this board.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageguy
I also use Cingular and have been on BIS for the last 3 months with no charges. I just recently added BES through EMM and have been very happy with them.

I'm not going to worry about the charges even if I revert back to BIS because everyone who has disputed these charges with Cingular has had them removed. If Cingular actually started to charge for data in addtion to the unlimted plan they would have a mass exodus of customers. There are just too many other carriers out there.
You're probably right, but I wouldn't want to be in that fight if I didn't have to be. Regardless, the extra benefits of a BES are well worth the $20.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
mobilehavoc

Model: None
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle18
You're probably right, but I wouldn't want to be in that fight if I didn't have to be. Regardless, the extra benefits of a BES are well worth the $20.
I no longer have a Blackberry - switched to a Cingular 8125 (HTC Wizard).

But just before I changed my phones, for the last 3 months I was charged for ANY DATA that was used with the wap.cingular APN. The Blackberry plan will not charge you for any data that goes through the Blackberry.net APN (Cingular WAP browser, email, Blackberry browser).

You have been warned - yes I got the charges reversed but I was lucky, there's no reason for them to refund you going forward.
Closed Thread